Apple has updated their AirPods Max Patent to legally protect the 'Canopy' aspect of their Headphones
On Apple's AirPods Max product/marketing page Apple states: "The over-ear headphone has been completely reimagined. From cushion to canopy. AirPods Max are designed for an uncompromising fit that creates the optimal acoustic seal for many different head shapes — fully immersing you in every sound."
This week a continuation patent for Apple's AirPods Max headphones was made public by the U.S. Patent Office adding 20 new patent claims that primarily cover and protects the 'Canopy' aspect of the headphones. Below are the first six new claims:
- Headphones, comprising: a left earpiece; a right earpiece; and a headband assembly extending between the left and right earpieces, the headband assembly comprising: reinforcement members defining a central opening and having left and right ends and a central region between and elevated relative to the left and right ends; a cable electrically coupling the left and right earpieces and extending through an interior volume defined by the reinforcement members, and a canopy extending across the central opening.
- The headphones as recited in claim 1, wherein the canopy extends between opposing segments of the central region and also between the left and right ends.
- The headphones as recited in claim 2, wherein the reinforcement members are joined with a first stem assembly to form a y-shaped geometry.
- The headphones as recited in claim 1, wherein the headband assembly further comprises left and right spring mechanisms configured to bias the left and right earpieces towards one another.
- The headphones as recited in claim 1, wherein the headband assembly further comprises an earpiece synchronization assembly routed through the interior volume defined by the reinforcement members.
- The headphones as recited in claim 5, wherein the earpiece synchronization assembly comprises a loop of wire coupled with left and right stem wires.
To review the remaining 14 new patent claims covering Apple's AirPods Max headphones, check out continuation patent 20210152941 here. Below are a few patent figures related to the canopy aspect of the headphones.