Apple Wins 28 MacBook Touch Bar Design Patents in Hong Kong
Apple's iPhone X sets new Launch Record while Samsung Obsesses with making new Apple Fan Mockery Ad

The Launch of the iPhone X is going down as the Largest Single Product Launch in Apple's History hands down

1 COVER iphone X


In 2014 Patently Apple posted a report titled "Samsung weeps as iPhone 6 Mania Rocks around the Globe." Apple's first Phablet was a record breaking smash hit that killed Samsung's single advantage in the premium sector of smartphones. The buzz from that launch was epic. Fast forwarding to this past Friday and iPhone mania is back, big time.


According to the latest data from Slice Intelligence, buyers thought it well worth the wait to get their hands on the latest and greatest installment into the iPhone family as the iPhone X is now the largest product launch in the company's illustrious history. In the first four days of orders, the iPhone X sold 25 percent more units than the previous record holder, the iPhone 6.


The lineups on at Apple Stores on Friday were massive in key markets around the globe and in the U.S. as noted in photos below of New York and Chicago. All of Apple's critics and naysayers convinced that the iPhone X would flop being over $1,000 and having a ugly notch that they whined about for days on end all disappeared on Friday when Apple fans came out to purchase the iPhone X, the future of iPhones.




Apple fans from Tokyo to Pal Alto were ecstatic about being able to get their hands on the coolest iPhone to date with it's new OLED display and advanced TrueDepth Camera. The death of the Home Button creates an all-new look for the iPhone that's refreshing and Apple fans wanted in on the first of its kind.


4 cover tokyo fan with iphone X
4 cover tokyo fan with iphone X


Stats Confirm the iPhone X Breaks the Record

4 cover tokyo fan with iphone X

In the initial wave of sales, the iPhone X isn't exciting Android fans enough to convert, though in the first four days alone, 3.8% of sales went to switchers. The other 96.2 percent of iPhone X buyers are upgrading from a previous Apple device. The iPhone X is clearly the phone people have been waiting for. Those people just happen to be Apple enthusiasts.  


Interesting to note that iPhone 7 Plus users were by far the largest group to dump their older iPhones for the new iPhone X. I guess that clunky Home Button experience was a real negative over time.


The only minor glitch that is currently being debated in techland these days is how bad screen burn-in could be over time. The issue really stuck against the Pixel 2 smartphone weeks ago as reported by ExtremeTech, BGR and Android Authority who first pointed out the prolem.


The law firm of Girard Gibbs is now investigating the problem for a possible class action, so the tension is rising about the issue.


There's a Samsung QLED vs. LG OLED TV YouTube video aimed at gamers showing that burn in is an issue with LG TVs. Samsung put out a statement backing up their video saying OLED is only suitable with smartphones because of their short life cycle because over time burn in is an issue. It's a nice hint that users of OLED smartphones will likely have to update their phones more often to avoid this problem long term.


The burn in issue has surfaced in context with the new iPhone X and Apple has been quick to publish a new support page titled "About the Super Retina display on your iPhone X."


Apple notes: "With extended long-term use, OLED displays can also show slight visual changes. This is also expected behavior and can include 'image persistence' or 'burn-in,' where the display shows a faint remnant of an image even after a new image appears on the screen. This can occur in more extreme cases such as when the same high contrast image is continuously displayed for prolonged periods of time. We've engineered the Super Retina display to be the best in the industry in reducing the effects of OLED 'burn-in.'


In late October Gadgethacks posted a report titled "5 Things We Learned from the Pixel 2 XL POLED Debacle" and a photo of burn in at the bottom of a smartphone is illustrated below for those that have never seen the issue close up.



While Apple is assuring Apple customers it's not as big an issue as some report, it's important to make Apple fans aware of the issue when making a decision to buy the new iPhone X.


Like most roaring issues on the net, they usually die down quickly as if they never existed. This is likely the case here if iPhone X users take the needed precautions that Apple's support page has laid out. 


10.1 Bar - News

About Making Comments on our Site: Patently Apple reserves the right to post, dismiss or edit any comments. Those using abusive language or negative behavior will result in being blacklisted on Disqus.




The comments to this entry are closed.