Apple Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo Surprises with Prediction that BOE will Overtake Samsung for iPhone 15 and 15 Pro Displays
This morning, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo revealed his latest surprising research note wherein he divulges that Apple has placed an order with display supplier BOE for the panels of the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro in the second half of 2023. By 2024, the supplier could overtake Samsung as the largest display supplier for the iPhone. Below you'll find his big 5 point report.
- BOE has beaten Samsung and secured most 2H23 new iPhone 15 and 15 Plus display orders. If development and production proceed smoothly over the next few months, BOE will become the largest display supplier for the iPhone 15 and 15 Plus, with a market share of around 70% (compared to Samsung’s 30%).
- For the 2H22 iPhone 14 series, BOE only obtained orders for the 6.1" iPhone 14 display and had the lowest market share. As a result, BOE’s shipment of iPhone displays for 2H23 will grow significantly on a YoY basis.
- BOE’s market share of iPhone display shipments was only around 12–15% in 2022. Therefore, even if iPhone shipments are negatively affected by the economic recession in 2023, BOE could still easily achieve a high YoY growth of 70–100% due to the low base of iPhone display shipments in 2022, outperforming most Apple suppliers.
- BOE is expected to start mass shipments of LTPO displays for high-end iPhones in 2024, with Samsung and LG Display also being suppliers. If BOE can obtain orders for 20–30% of the 2H24 high-end iPhone LTPO displays and maintain a market share of around 70% for 2H24 low-end iPhone displays, then BOE will likely become the largest supplier of displays for the new iPhone in 2H24.
- BOE’s key growth drivers for profits from new applications over the next 2–3 years include medium to large OLED displays for Apple, medium to large mini-LED displays for Apple, and more affordable foldable displays for Android phones.
BOE's iPhone display shipments for 2023 expected to grow rapidly, potentially overtaking Samsung and LG Display to become the largest supplier of displays for the new iPhone by 2024 at the earliesthttps://t.co/EcSmACqvpF— 郭明錤 (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo) January 4, 2023