Apple has issued a Press Release stating that the Zhengzhou Foxconn Plant shutdown will impact iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max model shipments+
Since November first, Patently Apple has been reporting about the looming COVID lockdown in Zhengzhou China and on Wednesday posted a report titled "Foxconn's largest iPhone Plant in the World has been ordered to shut down for 7 days by the Chinese Government." On Sunday afternoon Apple released a brief press release titled "Update on Supply of iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max."
Apple: "COVID-19 restrictions have temporarily impacted the primary iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max assembly facility located in Zhengzhou, China. The facility is currently operating at significantly reduced capacity. As we have done throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we are prioritizing the health and safety of the workers in our supply chain.
We continue to see strong demand for iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max models. However, we now expect lower iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max shipments than we previously anticipated and customers will experience longer wait times to receive their new products.
We are working closely with our supplier to return to normal production levels while ensuring the health and safety of every worker."
It's also being reported by the South China Morning Post (SCMP) this morning that "Foxconn Zhengzhou is offering workers who fled the compound over coronavirus fears a one-off 500 yuan (US$70) subsidy if they agree to return to work, as the world’s largest iPhone factory tries to minimize the fallout from a Covid-19 lockdown imposed by local authorities.
A notice posted on Monday by the Foxconn unit responsible for iPhone production said the “care and love” subsidy was a “pre-hiring” offer as workers would not be able to return to the compound until the seven-day lockdown imposed by local authorities was lifted on Wednesday this week.
The notice was published after Apple issued its statement on Sunday saying the Zhengzhou facility was “operating at significantly reduced capacity."
Foxconn, formally known as Hon Hai Precision Industry Co, said on Monday it would “revise down” its outlook for the fourth quarter “due to the pandemic affecting some of [its] operations in Zhengzhou”, without providing further details. The latest statement marked a shift in tone from its earlier one 10 days ago saying that production was relatively stable. For more, read the full SCMP report by Coco Feng.