Counterpoint released their Q3-2020 Market Monitor report this morning that includes a jumbo infographic summarizing the smartphone market accompanied by quick observations as follows:
- Global smartphone market shipments declined 4% YoY but grew 32% QoQ to reach 366 million units in Q3 2020.
- Apple iPhone shipments declined 7% YoY during Q3 2020 as the company delayed its annual iPhone launch from Q3 to Q4 in 2020
- Samsung regained the top spot, shipping 80.4 million units with 48% QoQ and 3% YoY growth with highest-ever shipments in the last three years.
- Realme shipments grew 132% QoQ, becoming the world’s fastest brand to hit 50 million shipments since inception.
- Xiaomi grew 75% QoQ, contributing 13% in the total smartphone shipments. Notably, this was the first time when Xiaomi surpassed Apple to capture the third spot in the global smartphone market [due to the iPhone 12 delay].
(Click on image to Enlarge)
While Apple is presented in the top five in North America and Europe, Apple was shut out of the other three markets that include the Middle East and Africa (MEA), Latin America (LATAM) and Asia.