Apple's Augmented Reality Team is bringing in more Specialists to work on their Future Platform
Apple Supplier Considers U.S. for 3nm Chip Plant because Taiwan Power Supply is Unstable

U.K. Man Dies in Bath due to his iPhone falling in still Charging

1af 88 x 99 cover iphone splash proof


According to the U.K.'s Guardian, an inquest revealed that a young man died after being electrocuted while charging his iPhone in their home's bathroom. The death of Richard Bull, 32, occurred when his iPhone fell into the water. It was ruled accidental by the coroner. Dr Sean Cummings said that he would also send a report to Apple to warn them about the dangers. Did the young man think that it would be safe to use his iPhone in the bath because it was promoted as being splash resistant? We'll never know the answer to that question but a stronger warning may have to be issued in future advertising like those abnoxious drug commercials do today.


The Guardian reported that Dr Sean Cummings stated that "These seem like innocuous devices, but they can be as dangerous as a hairdryer in a bathroom. They should attach warnings. This was a tragic accident and I have no reason to believe at all that there's anything other than it being completely accidental."


The coroner said that the postmortem had revealed burns on Bull's right arm and right hand. Police told the inquest at West London coroner's court that an extension lead was found running from the hallway into the bathroom.


According to Sheila Merrill, the public health adviser to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, this sort of incident is rare. Nevertheless, she said, 'people need to be aware of taking an electrical appliance into the bathroom.'


She told the BBC: "The advice has always been given with regard to hairdryers and radios – not to use in the bathroom.


'If you have got any appliance attached to the mains electricity circuit you have to be aware there is a danger there. You're risking death. Electricity and water don't mix, but particularly with phones, people don't probably always think about it. It's not advisable to use them while they're plugged in, particularly in a bathroom situation.'"


10.1 Bar - News

About Making Comments on our Site: Patently Apple reserves the right to post, dismiss or edit any comments. Those using abusive language or behavior will result in being blacklisted on Disqus.




The comments to this entry are closed.