Today the leading producer of global patent databases, analytic solutions and innovative web services released its annual tabulation of the top U.S. patent recipients for 2014. Another banner year for the patent world, 2014 saw annual U.S. patent grants increase by more than 8 percent reaching an all-time high of 300,678 and surpassing the 300,000 mark for the first time.
In September we posted a report titled "Samsung weeps as iPhone 6 Mania Rocks around the Globe." There was just something in the air about the iPhone 6 that was different from some previous models. In part it was the introduction of Apple's first Phablet taking on Samsung's Galaxy Note. Apple was taking the battle to Samsung and there was electricity in the air as the battle began. Today, to a new study by Kantar tells us that the iPhone 6 had won the war by a wide margin in the U.S.
In July we reported that the iPhone 5S and 5C were the top selling smartphones in Britain and more surprisingly that iPhone users accounted for close to 50% of the country's web traffic. Today, new data shows that Apple's new iPhone 6 models have boosted iPhone sales to 42.5% of British sales for a 12.2% boost year over year.
As the leading student-first connected learning platform, Chegg makes higher education more affordable, more accessible, and more successful for students. Chegg surveyed 880 college students attending 2-year and 4-year colleges between December 16th and December 19th to see what electronics such as smartphones, tablets and headphones students preferred. For Christmas gifts the winner with students is all things Apple – but the jumbo chart presented in our report also shows you what other gifts that could make the grade this holiday season.
Apple's initial stumbles with the release of iOS 8 hurt the adoption of Apple's latest mobile operating system. But after stabilizing, the numbers have been growing steadily. In early November Apple's iOS 8 adoption rate was noted as being 56%. A month later Apple's developer webpage tracking adoption rates now presents a new chart showing that the adoption of iOS 8 has risen by another 7% to a total of 63%.
Last month a report from market research firm Strategy Analytics noted that Samsung Electronics' smartphone market share in North America fell from 36.2 percent to 24.8 percent between the second and third quarters of this year, hitting a record low since the third quarter of 2012. Apple, meanwhile, increased its share by six percentage points to 33.9 percent. A separate report claimed that Apple was the world's number one smartphone vendor by revenue in Q3. Now a new report from Chitika is reporting that not only is Apple clobbering Samsung in North America for web traffic, they're also beating them handily in respect to App traffic/usage rates.