According to a Fox news report, David Grimsley from Atlanta claims that he was charging his iPhone 6 Plus when it caught on fire. "There were sparks and flames," said David Grimsley adding that "The whole apartment could have burned down." According to Fox, Grimsley said he called Apple and was told they'd send him another phone. Grimsley said he was disappointed by the response. He said "I thought they'd be more concerned, or check to see if I got burned or anything was damaged."
By looking at our cover graphic, why didn't Grimsley buy a new Lightning cable? The cable is so mangled that he should be taking responsibility for the fire. His whole electrical set up, as illustrated below, is a rats nest of electrical cables.
The second point is that it's very difficult to believe for a moment that an Apple rep would be so stupid as to ship Grimsley a new iPhone 6-Plus based on a phone call without Apple demanding to investigate his home and the circumstances in person or to have a fire inspector write a report about the home's electrical health and so forth for Apple to review.
There's something wrong with this story and I'm sure that a clearer picture is likely to surface as soon as Apple gets back to business next week and has time to thoroughly investigate the matter. Until then, what's your take on this Fox report?