On April 14, 2010, The Canadian Intellectual Property Office published Apple's latest trademark application for "iAd" under application 1475581. The application indicates that Apple originally filed their trademark just two days prior to formally announcing their upcoming web service associated with iPhone OS 4. Formally, Apple's iAd is a new mobile advertising platform which combines the emotion of television ads with the interactivity of web ads. You could still view Steve Jobs' introduction of this new mobile advertising platform beginning at the 44:10 mark of the "Apple iPhone OS 4 Event" QuickTime presentation. The Canadian filing covers "iAd" under Wares and Services which basically covers Apple in all forms of advertising as well as for being an ASP or Application Service Provider through to "Toys" which encompasses "electronic hand-held game units."
Canadian Trademark Filing In-Part
(1) Computers, computer peripheral devices, computer terminals; computer hardware; computer gaming machines, microprocessors, memory boards, monitors, displays, keyboards, cables, modems, printers, disk drives, adapters, adapter cards, connectors and drivers; blank computer storage media; magnetic data carriers; computer software; computer software for authoring, downloading, transmitting, receiving, editing, extracting, encoding, decoding, displaying, storing and organizing text, graphics, images, and electronic publications; computer software and firmware, namely, operating system programs, data synchronization programs, and application development tool programs for personal and handheld computers; computer hardware and software for providing integrated telephone communication with computerized global information networks; pre-recorded computer programs for personal information management, database management software, character recognition software, telephony management software, electronic mail and messaging software, paging software, mobile telephone software; database synchronization software, computer programs for accessing, browsing and searching online databases, computer software for the redirection of messages, Internet e-mail, and/or other data to one or more electronic handheld devices from a data store on or associated with a personal computer or a server; computer software for the synchronization of data between a remote station or device and a fixed or remote station or device; downloadable electronic publications in the nature of books, plays, pamphlets, brochures, newsletters, journals, magazines, and periodicals on a wide range of topics of general interest; handheld digital electronic devices and software related thereto; MP3 and other digital format audio players; hand held computers, tablet computers, personal digital assistants, electronic organizers, electronic notepads; mobile digital electronic devices, global positioning system (GPS) devices, telephones; handheld and mobile digital electronic devices for the sending and receiving of telephone calls, faxes, electronic mail, and other digital data; cordless telephones; mobile telephones; parts and accessories for mobile telephones; facsimile machines, answering machines, cameras, videophones, telephone-based information retrieval software and hardware; electronic handheld units for the wireless receipt, storage and/or transmission of data and messages, and electronic devices that enable the user to keep track of or manage personal information; electronic communication equipment and instruments; telecommunications apparatus and instruments; fonts, typefaces, type designs and symbols in the form of recorded data; chips, discs and tapes bearing or for recording computer programs and software; random access memory, read only memory; solid state memory apparatus; computer and electronic games; user manuals in electronically readable, machine readable or computer readable form for use with, and sold as a unit with, all the aforementioned goods; apparatus for data storage; hard drives; miniature hard disk drive storage units; audio video discs, CD-ROMs, and digital versatile discs; mouse pads; batteries; rechargeable batteries; chargers; chargers for electric batteries; headphones; stereo headphones; in-ear headphones; stereo speakers; audio speakers; audio speakers for home; monitor speakers; speakers for computers; personal stereo speaker apparatus; radio receivers, amplifiers, sound recording and reproducing apparatus, electric phonographs, record players, high fidelity stereo apparatus, tape recorders and reproducing apparatus, loudspeakers, multiple speaker units, microphones; digital audio and video devices; audio cassette recorders and players, video cassette recorders and players, compact disc players, digital versatile disc recorders and players, digital audio tape recorders and players; digital music and/or video players; radios; video cameras; audio, video, and digital mixers; radio transmitters; car audio apparatus; computer equipment for use with all of the aforesaid goods; electronic apparatus with multimedia functions for use with all of the aforesaid goods; electronic apparatus with interactive functions for use with all of the aforesaid goods; accessories, parts, fittings, and testing apparatus for all of the aforesaid goods; parts and fittings for all the aforesaid goods; covers, bags and cases adapted or shaped to contain all of the aforesaid goods, made of leather, imitations of leather, cloth, or textile materials.
(2) Paper, cardboard and goods made from these materials, not included in other classes; printed matter; book binding material; photographs; stationery; stickers; artists' materials; paint brushes; typewriters and office requisites (except furniture); instructional and teaching material (except apparatus); plastic materials for packaging (not included in other classes); advertising materials; printers' type; printing blocks; printed publications; periodicals; books; magazines; newsletters; brochures; booklets; pamphlets; manuals; journals; leaflets; greeting cards; advertising and promotional material; catalogues relating to computer software; computer brochures; computer handbooks; computer hardware publications; computer hardware reference manuals; computer hardware users guide; computer instruction manuals; computer manuals; publications relating to technology, digital technology and gadgets; catalogues relating to musical apparatus and instruments; music books; music instruction manuals; music magazines; excluding adhesives, adhesive tape and sheets.
(3) Toys; games and playthings; playing cards; electronic hand-held game units; musical toys, games and playthings; toy audio apparatus; toy musical boxes; toy musical instruments; toy record players for playing tunes and cassettes; musical games; battery operated toys; electronic toys; electric computer games, other than those adapted for use with television receivers; electrical and electronic amusement apparatus (automatic, coin/counter freed); electronic games being automatic, coin-freed or counter-freed (other than those adapted for use with television receivers); hand-held electronic games and apparatus (other than those adapted for use with television receiver only); video games other than those adapted for use with television receivers only; automatic and coin-operated amusement machines; computer game apparatus other than coin operated or those adapted for use with television receivers; video output toys and games; electronically operated toys; interactive computer toys and games; musical toys and games; stand alone video game machines incorporating a means of display; toy handheld electronic devices; toy computers (not working); toy mobile telephones (not working); parts and fittings for all the aforesaid goods.
Business management; business administration; business consulting services; providing office functions; advertising agency services; advertising, marketing, and promotion services; advertising and marketing consultation; sales promotion services; promoting the goods and services of others; conducting market research; analysis of advertising response and market research; design, creation, preparation, production, and dissemination of advertisements and advertising material for others; media planning services; administration of consumer loyalty programs; arranging and conducting incentive rewards programs to promote the sale of goods and services; computerized database and file management; data processing services; computerized data storage and retrieval services; computerized data storage and retrieval services for text, data, image, audio, video, and multimedia content; creating indexes of information, sites and other resources available on global computer networks and other electronic and communications networks for others; searching, browsing and retrieving information, sites, and other resources available on global computer networks and other electronic and communications networks for others; organizing content of information provided over a global computer network and other electronic and communications networks according to user preferences; providing an online searchable database of text, data, image, audio, video, and multimedia content; providing business and commercial information over computer networks and global communication networks; business services, namely, providing computer databases regarding the purchase and sale of a wide variety of products and services of others; business services, namely, dissemination of advertising for others via computer networks and global communication networks; compilations of directories for publishing on the Internet and other electronic, computer and communications networks; retail store and online retail store services; retail store services provided via the Internet and other computer, electronic and communications networks; retail store services in the field of books, magazines, periodicals, newsletters, journals and other publications on a wide range of topics of general interest, provided via the Internet and other computer, electronic and communications networks; retail store services in the field of entertainment featuring movies, television programs, sporting events, musical works, and audio and audiovisual works, via the Internet and other computer, electronic and communications networks; retail store services featuring computer, electronic and entertainment products, telecommunications apparatus, mobile phones, handheld mobile digital electronic devices, and other consumer electronics, computer software, and accessories, peripherals, and carrying cases for such products, via the Internet and other computer, electronic and communications networks; product demonstrations provided in-store and via global communications networks and other electronic and communications networks; subscription services, namely, providing subscriptions to text, data, image, audio, video, and multimedia content, provided via the Internet and other electronic and communications networks; downloadable pre-recorded text, data, image, audio, video, and multimedia content for a fee or pre-paid subscription, provided via the Internet and other electronic and communications networks; arranging and conducting of commercial, trade and business conferences, shows, and exhibitions; information, advisory and consultancy services relating to all the aforesaid.
(2) Educational and entertainment services; sporting and cultural activities; computer-based and computer-assisted educational, teaching, and training services; digital imaging services; entertainment and educational services, namely, providing text, video, audio, and multimedia materials; entertainment services, namely, providing computer games; entertainment and educational services, namely, providing electronic books, magazines, newspapers, journals, periodicals, and other publications; entertainment and educational services, namely, providing information, databases, directories, and podcasts in the fields of entertainment, advertising, news, current events, history, sports, games, the media, cultural events and activities, hobbies, publications, technology, and other topics; entertainment and educational services, namely, live performances, sporting events, cultural events, and lectures; entertainment and education services, namely, organizing and conducting exhibitions, displays, exhibits, workshops, seminars, training, and conferences; information, advisory and consultancy services relating to all the aforesaid.
(3) Application service provider (ASP) services featuring computer software; application service provider (ASP) services featuring software for authoring, downloading, transmitting, receiving, editing, extracting, encoding, decoding, displaying, storing and organizing text, graphics, images, and electronic publications; scientific and technological services and research and design relating thereto; industrial analysis and research services; design and development of computer hardware and software; computer hardware and software consulting services; rental of computer hardware and software apparatus and equipment; multimedia and audio-visual software consulting services; computer programming; support and consultation services for developing computer systems, databases and applications; graphic design for the compilation of web pages on the Internet; information relating to computer hardware or software provided on-line from a global computer network or the Internet; creating and maintaining web-sites; hosting the web-sites of others; providing search engines for obtaining data via communications networks; application service provider (ASP) services featuring software for use in connection with online music subscription service, software that enables users to play and program music and entertainment-related audio, video, text and multimedia content, and software featuring musical sound recordings, entertainment-related audio, video, text and multimedia content; providing temporary internet access to use on-line non-downloadable software to enable users to program audio, video, text and other multimedia content, including music, concerts, videos, radio, television, news, sports, games, cultural events, and entertainment-related programs; providing search engines for obtaining data on a global computer network; information, advisory and consultancy services relating to all the aforesaid; operating search engines; computer consulting and support services for scanning information into computer discs; creating indexes of online information, sites and other resources available on global computer networks for others; providing user access to the Internet (service providers).
Apple Inc.'s filing was made by Baker & McKenzie LLP of Toronto, Canada. The filing appears to have been for the word "iAd" alone – as no associated graphic and/or icon was found to match that which was presented in the Apple Event of April 8, 2010 and noted in our Opening Cover graphic.
Notice: Patently Apple presents only a brief summary of new trademarks with associated graphic(s) for journalistic news purposes as each such trademark is revealed by the U.S. and/or other foreign Patent & Trademark Offices. Readers are cautioned that the full text of any patent and/or trademark applications and/or grants should be read in its entirety for further details.
Update, June 28, 2010: Apple has formally filed for iAd with the European Patent Office under application 009203191. The filing was publicly published on June 28, 2010. The International Classes listed in the filing include 9, 16, 28, 35, 38, 41 and 42. Most of the information listed has been described in the Canadian database noted above. The notable addition would be that of International Class 038 which covers the following: List of goods and services Communications and telecommunications services; serving and transmitting audio, video, multimedia and advertising content to computers, mobile telephones, media players and other mobile digital services.
Update, July 7, 2010: Another Canadian filing has surfaced under application 1486465. The filing adds a new service as follows: "Communications and telecommunications services; serving and transmitting audio, video, multimedia, and advertising content to computers, mobile telephones, media players, and other mobile digital devices." The filing was formalized on June 30, 2010 and publihed on July 7, 2010.